Tuesday, January 13, 2009

First Onsen In A Long Time

I had the pleasure of going back to Beppu on business and staying at the Nishitetsu Inn right downtown.

Having just spent 3 weeks in the US, I thought, "I could really use an onsen" Then I got the call, and the job required me to spend the night.

The onsen is clean and spacious and pretty good as far as low-end business hotels go. The faint whiff of chlorine was a turn-off, but the temperature was nice.

Having lived in Fukuoka for almost 1.5 years now, nearby onsens are truly one of those things I miss.

3 comments:

el joma said...

hi!
a google alert for "beppu" pointed me to this post of yours. i just wanted to ask. i am an incoming grad student at ritsumeikan apu and i am exploring the possibility of doing long-term homestay at beppu instead of the apu dormitory. i would very much like to live with a japanese family at beppu so that i can immerse myself in the local culture and day-to-day living. i've been wondering how i may get in touch with any group that i can ask for help in doing a homestay in beppu. thanks very much!
el joma (from the philippines)

Joel said...

El Joma:

Hmmm, I don't know of the top of my head, but you can try the APU Student Office because they handle short-term homestays, or see if you can contact Beppu City Hall or the Foreign Vistitor Bureau. There are definitely families that want to bring in homestays, but the issue is that there is not unified system to link people up (in my opinion)
Best of luck!

crazy buddy said...

There are days when your body seems to be just a big lump of pain. Your shoulders ache, your back aches, and almost every muscle in your body aches. If you happen to be in the middle of a day like this.