Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Hyotan Onsen(ひょうたん温泉)

Jude is back in town so we did our first onsen in a month. The Hyotan Onsen just reopend after rennovations. I had always meant to go there and since I heard it had been refurbished I figured now was better than ever.
I checked the prices and prepared a pocket full of change to cover the 700 yen fee for me and the 200 fee for children under five. When I entered I found that adults are 550 after 6 pm and kids under 3 are free. A very good start.
After paying, we walked thru a courtyard which serves as a beer garden into the bathing area. It was HUGE. There was a rock bath, 2 banks of showers (about 20 showers each), a cypress bath (great aroma), a little bath shaped like a hyotan (gourd) a giant outdoor bath, and about 20 waterfall baths. These are high pressure streams of water that you let pound your shoulders and they feel great. Jude's fave was the Pebble bath. A narrow strip of a bath that you walk thru. it was bout 20 yards long and the bottom was covered in pebbles to give you a foot massage as you walked. We did about 20 round-trips through that thing. Jude also liked putting his plastic elephant watering can under the waterfall. I couldn't get him out of there!
They had a nice ice-cold water fountain in the dressing room which I liked to drink and Jude like to turn on and off.
I missed a work party here the other night, but I would like to come back and go for dinner and a bath here sometime. It is the perfect place to take company to. Anyone gonna be in town?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness!

johntroy said...

Nice work, Hubbard. I miss the time we went to Sakurajima. Onsen rock!