Monday, May 02, 2005

The Way of the Onsen(温泉道)

I have been living in the hot spring capital of Japan, Beppu, Oita Prefecture now for 8 months. I work at a local university turning Japanese into English everyday.
I had been mulling over my options. Should I go to B School? Should I get a job in Tokyo? Should I just give up and become and English teacher for life? Should I go back to the U.S.A. and start paying taxes again (I am officially expempt, mind you).
Oh decisions, decisions. I just didn't know what to do.
So I decided to
STOP

I realized I needed to slow things down, and more than that, I needed to spend more quality time with my son, Jude.

And then it came to me in the form of a $3 book.

The Way of The Hot Springs.

Get your "spaport" and make the rounds. Every 8 hot springs, you level up. It's like karate, except you just have to sit naked in hot water and relax. Go to 88 hot springs and you become an Hot Springs Master. Get a special black and gold towel and get your photo taken. You get to participate in the annual parade. And I can take Jude along and he'll have something tangible to prove that when he was a kid, he used to live in Beppu and that he is, indeed, a Hot Springs Master.

Herein, I shall detail my "hot springing" on a semi-daily basis. And I shall also provide resources on hot springs and the Beppu area. I also will provide access to information on the Kirishima Hot Springs (Makizono Town)in Kagoshima Prefecture (Where I used to live, and where I met my wife).

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey, great to read your blog. I'm a Chinese girl studying in Sweden, but I went to APU for four years :-)
Beppu... miss it sooooo much! If you are still wondering about what to do and where to go, my suggestion is, Beppu is the BEST.

Cheers
Amanda