Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Ekimae Koto Onsen(駅前高等温泉)

Literally translated this is the "in front of the station high quality hot spring." It is, as you may have guessed, right down the road from Beppu station. It is old and historic. All the parades go down this street, and a lot of Beppu walking events start here (and perhaps end here with a nice bath).

The changing room was a little room, then a steep flight of stairs led down to the bath. There was a hot bath which was rather hot. Jude said "ouch!" and kind of hidden under the staircase was a second warm bath. It was perfect for Jude! He got in and splashed away.

When we got in there tonight we were the only ones in there so I got a pic of the actual bath.
ekimae-1

I liked this bath. This was the first onsen I passed when I came up here for my interview and the old style architecture caught my eye.I've been wanting to check it out for a while. I enjoyed the atmosphere. They actually have rooms upstairs for short stays.

Got a shot of Jude after the bath outside. I read in the paper that some APU students are running a cafe in front of the onsen on weekends to raise funds for the onsen. It's part of their marketing class. Community interaction is always good.
ekimae-2


There is a trickle of hot spring water coming put of that rock formation. The sign on top of it list all the ailments the hot water is supposed to be good for. It was an extensive list inclduing: neurological disorders, diabetes, and mild burns.

hey, it made me feel better. try it!

No comments: